- Best brain food – good for weight loss too.
Exam food – Top 10 Brain Foods
Yes it’s that time of year and you will need to keep your brain sharp and nourished.
Here are 10 highly effective brain foods that improve memory, mood, concentration, and overall clarity of mind. So eat up.
1. Blueberries —Blueberries serve a wide range of functions for improving mental function. Most notably, regular blueberry consumption has been shown to improve memory function. Furthermore, blueberries are rich in antioxidants, helping to prevent free radical damage. Do you still need some more to convince you. Research has found that blueberries can also reverse age related declines in motor function, balance, and co-ordination.
2. Salmon—Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, salmon helps your brain develop tissue for increasing your brain power. Furthermore, salmon also plays a key role in fighting Alzheimer’s and other age-related cognitive disorders.
3. Linseed —Linseeds are packed withALA- a healthy fat that aids the cerebral cortex in functioning better. This is the portion of the brain responsible for processing sensory information. Keeping it sharp is vital. Sprinkle 1 tbsp on your cereal.
4. Coffee—regular coffee drinking has been shown to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s, Dementia, and other mental disorders. That’s because caffeine is good for the brain (in moderation), and it contains antioxidants. The important thing to note is you shouldn’t add in all the other junk to your coffee (I’m talking about the ridiculous Starbucks /café Nero type of drinks crammed with sweeteners and fatty products).
5. Mixed nuts—Peanuts, walnuts, pecans, and other nuts contain properties that help with everything from fighting insomnia to promoting mental clarity and strong memory. Walnuts are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids while almonds contain natural mood-enhancing neurotransmitters.
6. Avocados—Don’t let the avocado’s fat content fool you. It’s a healthy fat that promotes blood flow, keeping your mind functioning at its peak. That’s not all: Avocados have also been shown to reduce blood pressure – whilst that might not worry you at a tender age its function is still relevant, it absorbs stress which might be highly relevant at this stage.
7. Eggs—Egg yolks are rich in choline, an essential nutrient to improving memory function. Did you know that 6 grams of protein hide out in each egg? One egg also contains 5 grams of fat, but the kind of fat your body wants, it prevents ageing and aids the brain to function. Often people avoid eating eggs because they assume egg consumption will send their cholesterol levels through the roof. Fortunately, that’s not necessarily true. Controlled consumption will keep your cholesterol levels in check, allowing you to reap egg benefits.
8. Whole grains—From oatmeal to whole grain bread, whole grains are excellent brain foods as they improve circulation and contain essential fibre, vitamins, and even some Omega-3. Just make your sandwiches from whole grain breads to enjoy the benefits.
9. Chocolate—For me, this is the yummiest brain food of all. Dark chocolate (85% coco solid Green and Blacks) is antioxidant-rich, and it also improves focus and concentration. Milk chocolate, on the other hand, improves memory and reaction time.
10. Broccoli—Broccoli has been shown to improve memory function as well as slow the aging process. This means a broccoli-rich diet will keep you young and sharp.
Author – Kumud Gandhi – Founder of The Cooking Academy – A unique cookery school that put the medicinal value of ingredients at the heart of every thing they teach.