A brilliant recipe for spicy lamb mince! For more Indian spiced dishes, why not attend our Indian Cookery Classes...
500g minced lamb
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cardamom pods
1 giant black cardamom
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp roasted ground cumin
1 tsp hot chilli powder
½ tsp garam masala
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 tsp finely chopped ginger
2 medium sized potatoes cut into chunks
200 g chopped tinned tomatoes
8 strands of fresh coriander
200 ml hot water
1 tsp lemon juice
Cooks tip 1:
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan, when hot add the whole dry spices; cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, giant cardamom. Sizzle for a few seconds then add the onions and fry, stirring for a few minutes until their just turning brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook on a low to medium heat until the water has evaporated and the oil is separating.
- Now add the minced lamb, use the back of the wooden spoon to break down the morsels of meat to prevent it from being lumpy.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, garam masala, and salt. Stir well to ensure the spices blend into the lamb and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on the saucepan.
- Add the potatoes and the water to the pan stir well, cover with the lid and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove from the heat, garnish with the freshly chopped coriander and lemon juice and serve with chapattis or naan bread.
The potatoes can be optional and omitted if preferred, however the flavour of the potatoes cooked in the meat is very tasty.
Cooks tip 2:
If you want a very thick consistency reduce the level of water.