Bicarbonate of Soda is a wonder worker around the home. It cleans shimmers and shines all kinds of surfaces. Mildly abrasive, its gentle yet effective cleaning action works on everything from ovens and kitchen surfaces to baths, sinks, loos, floors and more. We have listed just a few of the many uses for bicarb below.
• To remove mildew on a shower curtain, first make a thick paste of Bicarbonate of Soda and water. Smear it on the curtain and leave overnight until dry. Then wash the curtain normally and the mould will disappear.
• After cleaning the oven, brush the inside with a light Bicarbonate of Soda and water paste. When you next clean the oven the dirt will come away easily.
• With stained mattresses, make a paste with Bicarbonate of Soda and water and spread it on the stain and leave to dry. Later, brush off the dry Bicarbonate of Soda, which should have absorbed all the stain.
• You can clean baths too! Apply Bicarbonate of Soda with a damp cloth to remove stains and polish chrome fittings.
• Car enthusiasts often use Bicarbonate of Soda to polish chrome fittings. It works better than some commercial products.
• Soak stained cups and pans Bicarbonate of Soda and water, and stains will disappear.
• Bicarbonate of Soda takes away smells in fridges and freezers. Just keep an open tub in the corner of your fridge to absorb odours.
• If you have rusty utensils, cut a potato, dip it in Bicarbonate of Soda and then rub away the rust.
• Dishcloths and face flannels left to soak in Bicarbonate of Soda and water are fresher than if washed in most commercial products.
• A pinch of Bicarbonate of Soda in a vase of water will keep flowers much fresher and prevent the water from becoming stagnant.
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.