Blackforest gateau is the perfect indulgent dessert. Why not use a combination of fresh or glazed cherries to really brighten up this delicious dessert?
For the chocolate sponge
100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) chopped
4 medium eggs, separated
a pinch of salt
120g caster sugar
For the filling and icing
jar of dark cherry jam
150g unsalted butter, softened
75g full fat cream cheese
300g icing sugar, sifted
1 punnet of cherries
chocolate shavings (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C. Grease and line a baking sheet 30cm x 40 cm.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Put the egg whites in a large, very clean bowl, add the pinch of salt and whisk slowly to soft peaks. Add a tablespoon of the caster sugar and continue whisking, adding tablespoons of sugar until it is all incorporated. The egg whites should have a silky white appearance (this is a meringue mixture)
- Add the yolks to the meringue and fold them in thoroughly. Take a spoon of the egg mixture and fold it into the chocolate until they have a similar consistency. Add the chocolate to the remaining meringue mixture folding it in. It should have a mousse like texture.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray, and using a spatula, spread it across the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the baking tray.
- Put a large piece of baking paper on the work surface and remove the sponge from the tray, putting the top of the cake onto the baking paper. Peel back the baking paper from the base of the cake and cut it into three equal pieces.
- To make the icing, put butter and cream cheese in a bowl and whisk until fluffy. Reduce the speed of the mixer and gradually add the icing sugar, until well combined. Mix in a tablespoon of kirsch into the buttercream. Spread buttercream on to two pieces of the cake.
- To make the filling, mix a tablespoon of kirsch into the jam. Spread two pieces of the cake with the jam mixture. Layer the cake pieces.
- Use the remaining butter cream to decorate the rest of the cake.
- Scatter the chocolate shavings evenly all around the edges of the cake.
- Pipe extra butter cream in little swirls on top, an place the cherries on top.
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.