Thu 14 Jun
Plum Cake & Crumble
If you happen to like a bit of both then this recipe is a real treat for you. With juicy plums now in season in the UK, what better time to 'eat the seasons' and make this delicious cake that will last for days, if you can keep your hands off it!
For the pastry:
200g of plain flour
50g of sugar
125g of butter
1 egg yolks
A pinch of salt
1tsp baking powder
500g of plums- quartered and stoned
For the crumble:
50g of butter
100g of plain flour
50g of icing sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Make the crumble by mixing together the butter, plain flour and icing sugar until crumbs form, then place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a square pastry tin with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, butter, egg yolks, salt and baking powder until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes to ensure all the ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the pastry dough into a baking tin and spread it over the base of the tin with your fingers, ensuring the entire base is well covered.
- Place the plums onto the pastry, skin side down.
- Take the crumble from the fridge and sprinkle in between the plums.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.
Cooks tip: Place any leftover crumble on to a baking tray and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Use this crumble as a topping for desserts, ice cream, yogurt or even granola!