A truly indulgent dessert! This sticky toffee pudding recipe certainly hits the sweet spot! When the weather is cold and cosy there's nothing better than a warming pudding that is going to satisfy my sweet cravings! The medjoola dates are also an excellent source of phytonutrients, plant compounds that may have health benefits. Studies have shown they can stimulate the immune system, reduce inflammation, prevent DNA damage, and improve hormone regulation. Ingredients:
75g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
180g medjoola dates, stones removed, finely chopped
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g golden caster sugar
75g light muscovado sugar
2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
180g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder For the toffee sauce
125g unsalted butter
80g dark soft brown sugar
40g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
200ml double cream Cooking Instructions:
Click here to view the rest of our 12 days of Christmas recipes!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a 2.5 litre ovenproof dish and set aside.
- Put the dates in a bowl and cover with 275ml hot water. Sprinkle in the bicarbonate of soda and set aside for 10 minutes. After ten minutes use a fork to slight mash them. Set aside once more.
- Beat the butter and sugars together with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the eggs, beating well between each addition.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder and fold in, then mix in the date mixture with its water. The mixture will be very wet but don’t worry. Pour into the greased dish and bake for 30-35 minutes until the sponge is just coming away from the sides of the dish.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the sugars and vanilla, and then stir well until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cream and bring up to a vigorous simmer, then bubble for 5 minutes on a low temperature.
- Once the pudding is done, pour over the hot toffee sauce and serve in generous portions.
Follow us on YouTube
for more recipes, and useful kitchen hints and tips! Find our vegan version here!