2 tbsp of oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium onions, chopped finely
4 garlic cloves, crushed or 2 heaped tsp if already finely chopped
1 carrot finely diced
1 stick of celery finely diced
¼ tsp hot chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp mustard – powder or wet mustard
¼ tsp black coarsely ground pepper
1 tsp rich Hungarian paprika
½ tsp salt or to taste
250g mixed beans
200g – Half can of chopped tomatoes
150g drained weight cooked red kidney beans – half a can
1 tsp tomato puree
½- red pepper, cored deseeded and cut into 1 cm cubes
225 ml (¾ pint) vegetable stock
For Garnish & serving
Crème fraîche or soured cream – for serving
Chilli seeds, Cheddar cheese & Spring onion, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add the cumin seeds, onions and garlic and gently fry until soft.
- Add the celery, carrots, and fry on a low heat until just turning brown at the edges.
- Now add the chilli powder, mustard, paprika, salt & pepper, stir well and cook with the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Now add the kidney beans, mixed beans, tomato puree & canned tomatoes simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the stock, stir well.
- Bring to boil, then cover lower heat and simmer very gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick. Five minutes before the end of the cooking process add the red peppers, so they remain al dente.
- Cook rice as per rice recipe
- Serve the chilli con carne over the rice and finish with the preferred garnish
Cooks Hint 1: Chilli Con Carne freezes well in zip lock bags
Serving Tip: Pile up rice, dollop on cooked chilli and then sour cream, Scatter over the chilli flakes, grated cheddar and spring onion
You can also find our meat version here!