Chilli Con Carne, this easy Mexican style dish to make ahead and freeze so you can spend more time with family and friends. Serve with rice.
Chilli Con Carne
2 tbsp of oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onions, chopped finely
4 garlic cloves crushed or 2 heaped tsp if already finely chopped
250g minced lamb or beef
¼ tsp hot chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp mustard – powder or wet mustard
1 tsp rich Hungarian paprika
½ tsp salt or to taste
¼ tsp black pepper
120g drained weight cooked red kidney beans – half a can
200g chopped tomatoes (half a can)
1 tsp tomato puree
200 ml beef stock
½- red pepper, cored deseeded and cut into 1 cm cubes
For garnish & serving
1 tbsp Greek yoghurt – for serving
Chilli seeds & cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add the cumin seeds, onions and garlic and gently fry until soft.
- Add meat and fry until just brown, cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Now add the chilli powder, ground cumin, mustard, paprika, salt & pepper, stir well and cook with the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Now add the kidney beans, tomato puree & canned tomatoes, simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat with the lid on.
- Add the stock, stir well.
- Bring to boil, then cover lower heat and simmer very gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick. Five minutes before the end of the cooking process add the red peppers, so they remain al dente.
Cook rice as per rice recipe.
*The picture is for presentation purposes only
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.