The combination of chocolate and lemon might seem odd, but the slight acidity of the thin lemon slices pairs beautifully with the richness of the chocolate.
Ingredients – Makes 9
100 g unsalted butter, softened
100 g brown sugar
200 g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped, or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
150 g plain flour
85 g unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of sea salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
9 very thin lemon slices
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 21 cm square cake tin with butter and line with baking paper.
- Cream the butter, sugars and vanilla together, either using a wooden spoon or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, until pale and creamy.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, add the salt and gently combine.
- Stir through the eggs and, once incorporated, fold in the chocolate.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and arrange the lemon slices evenly over the surface. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- The edges should be just coming away from the sides while the middle should still be a little soft.
- Allow to cool briefly in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into squares to serve. The brownies will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days, but they are best eaten not too long after cooling down.
Recipe by Julia Busuttil Nashimura