With Cherries in season and a love of all things coconut and cheesecake it was only a matter of time before I attempted to bring everything together in one yummy dessert. I’ve opted for an American style baked version, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, don’t be put off by the choice of coconut sugar, you can use regular caster sugar if necessary. Likewise if cherries are not available then try raspberries, they work perfectly well.
150g Digestive biscuits
30g Desiccated coconut
60g Butter, melted (Could also use Almond butter)
360g Soft cheese
250g Quark – cheese or Ricotta cheese
4 medium Free Range Eggs
25 g Coconut sugar or caster sugar
1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
180 ml coconut milk/cream
200g fresh cherries, pitted
25g coconut shavings – readily available in baking isle
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Place the biscuits in a food processor to make into fine crumbs. Mix well with the desiccated coconut and butter, and press into a 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tin, 2 inches high.
- In a large bowl whisk the soft cheese, quark/ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and coconut cream, and pour over the crumb base.
- Roughly chop half the cherries and scatter over the top.
- Bake for1 to 1 ¼ hours until golden on top but still with a slight wobble.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely in the tin. Remove from the tin and place on a platter.
- Serve topped with whole cherries and shavings of toasted coconut, if you wish the top with the coconut slices.
- Serve with fresh cream.
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.