This crispy duck spring roll makes a perfect canape for Christmas Day! A sweet and tangy plum sauce is the perfect complement on the side or as a dip.
For the plum sauce:
6 plums, de-stoned and cut into slices
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp water
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp Chinese five spice
0.5 tsp chilli flakes
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp honey
For a duck spring rolls
1 duck breasts
1 carrot, shredded into strips
1 spring onion, finely chopped into long strips – julienne
1 tbsp fresh coriander
Spring roll pastry
2 tbsp plain flour
2-3 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4.
- Score the duck breast on the skin side and then sprinkle with salt.
- Heat a pan till it is smoking hot, place the duck skin side down and pan-fry for 3 minutes, turn over the duck and cook on the other side for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the pan – place on an oven tray – label with you name on the parchment paper.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes. When cooked, cool down and then shred the meat and skin assuming it is crispy. Set aside.
- Whilst the duck is in the oven, In a pan over a medium heat, add the plums, soy, water, cinnamon, star-anise and five spice, chili flakes, garlic and honey. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer, cooking for 15 minutes until thick and sticky. Set aside to cool when ready.
- Place the shredded duck in bowl; add the spring onions, freshly chopped coriander, shredded carrot and 2 tbsp of the plum sauce. Mix well.
- To assemble the spring rolls, mix the plain flour and water together to make a paste of edible glue to secure the spring rolls when filling, the paste should be of the same consistency of pancake batter.
- When the filling has cooled sufficiently, place a heaped tsp of filling on a corner of each pastry sheet, start to roll the pastry forward as tightly as possible to eliminate any air pockets. Fold left and right corners inwards, again keeping it as tightly as possible, now paste the edible glue around the top triangular remaining area, then roll the filling forward to a close, keeping it as tight as possible. Repeat until you have used up all the filling or completed all the spring roll pastry.
- Ask a chef about the procedure to fry the spring rolls.
- Serve immediately with the plum sauce.
Follow us on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for more recipes, and useful kitchen hints and tips!
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.