The Scallop season will soon be upon us and we’re lucky to have some great queen scallops along our coastal areas. With such mild weather I suspect the season may even start a little earlier than usual. Here’s a delightful scallop recipe which is full of light zingy flavours that work with their sweet and juicy texture.
- 12 Scallops – cleaned
- Marinade/ dressing
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 30g Butter – to add at the end of the cooking process
- 1 Fresh ripe lime – zest and juice
- 2 tsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1 Small hot chilli fresh or ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- Pinch of salt – to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh coriander – set a few leaves aside to garnish at the end
- A pinch of salt in the marinade and then a pinch on plating
- Prepare the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Add the scallops, mix gently and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the griddle to very hot, season the scallops with a little salt then place on the griddle for 1-2 minutes either side until cooked. Add the butter and baste to finish off the cooking process.
- Spoon a little dressing on the scallops and serve immediately. Makes an excellent starter to impress! Enjoy
Scallops are rich in vitamin B12, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc and Copper. They are also an excellent source of Protein, Phosphorus and Selenium.
Cooks tip 1: Choose hand-dived scallops if you want to support a more environmentally-friendly and sustainable fishing method; dredging tends to damage the sea bed.
Cooks tip 2: Serve with a pea & mint puree with a little pan fried chorizo or black pudding on top.
This recipe is taught in our One Day Fish Cookery Class. Click here for more information, or call us on 01923 778880
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.