500g chicken thigh deboned and de-skinned
4 tbsp rapeseed oil or a vegetable oil
2 whole red chillies dried
1 black cardamom pods
2 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
2 medium onions finely chopped (200g)
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 tsp finely chopped ginger
½ tsp hot chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
50g chopped tomatoes – tinned
3 finger pinch fresh coriander for cooking and garnish
50 mls hot water
For the Spinach Tarka
100g baby spinach or Kale
1/2 tbsp oil
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
pinch of salt
- Heat the oil gently on a low heat, in a deep wide based pan, sizzle the whole red chillies, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves.
- Add the onions and fry until soft and light brown in colour. Add the garlic and ginger and allow the flavours to blend into the onion.
- Now add the dry spices to the onions, stir well to ensure they are thoroughly integrated.
- Add the chicken and again stir well to brown off and seal with the spice flavours. Cook for a few minutes without the lid on a low to medium heat.
- Adding the tomatoes, stir in and cook for a further 2 minutes, before adding the hot water. Drop the temperature to a low heat and place the lid on, cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Now prepare the spinach by heating the oil, add the garlic, sauté on a low heat so not to burn the garlic, add the salt, and then fold the spinach in, stirring and mixing to ensure the spices meld into the spinach. Cook until the spinach wilts and then add to the chicken dish. Stir in and allow the flavours to blend for a further minute or so.
- Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve immediately!
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.