A curry is only as good as the naan that accompanies it. When you get the basics right, the experience of cooking is so rewarding. I use this recipe for naan time and again because it is an easy, one-bowl process. If you’re going to the trouble of making a gorgeous curry from scratch, you may as well throw these ingredients together for fluffy warm naans that will mop up all the flavour and spice! If you need some curry inspiration, why not try this delicious saag paneer or butternut squash curry?
250g self-raising flour
5g sachet of easy dried yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp roasted cumin seeds
2 tbsp natural yoghurt – lightly beaten
1 tbsp of ghee or melted butter + extra for brushing
4 tbsp lukewarm milk
½ tsp onion or nigella seeds
fresh coriander leaves
1. In a large warm mixing bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, salt, cumin seeds, yoghurt and ghee. Add the milk and knead to make soft dough. Cover with a lightly oiled sheet of cling film and leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
2. When ready – turn the dough out onto the surface, lightly dust with flour and knead for 5 minutes, or until smooth.
3. Divide the dough into six portions and roll each into a ball.
4. With a rolling pin, roll each ball out into an oval or round shapes, about 18-20cm.
5. Brush with ghee and sprinkle with onion seeds and cook in batches under a preheated grill for 2-3 minutes on each side or in a very hot oven on steam setting.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
Cook’s tip: Add some chopped garlic with the ghee before cooking for garlic naan.
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.