Regular readers of the blog may well recognise this recipe, but it’s always so popular that I couldn’t resist sharing it again this year. If you’re fed up with the usual cranberry sauce as an accompaniment to your turkey, then you may wish to try my alternative this Christmas. I’ve pepped up this rather sweet little number by adding a few Christmas twists and giving it a little edge. It also doubles up as a great dip for your savoury nibbles. As usual, it also very easy to make which, as you know, always gets my vote.
- 200g cranberry sauce (from a jar – ocean spray brand is rather good)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 3 tbsp port
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1/8th tsp chilli flakes
- Place the cranberry sauce into a saucepan and heat on a low to medium burner, add the port, chilli flakes, and cumin.
- When the cranberry is getting hot, add the cinnamon sticks and star anise. Drop the heat to the lowest point and very gently simmer for 5 minutes so that the flavours from cinnamon and star anise begin to infuse the cranberry.
- If the mixture is very thick, let it down with a few drops of water or more port if you prefer.
- Remove from the heat, and allow to cool down back to ambient temperature before you serve with the turkey or chicken.
Cooks tip 1: Use as a dip for other nibbles and party foods.
Cooks tip 2: Make Turkey and Cranberry Samosas with your left over Christmas turkey dinner and use this as a dip as well.
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.