We absolutely love to cook with seasonal ingredients, not least because it’s usually local produce but also because eating seasonally means we get the right nutrition for what our body needs now. Cauliflower will be in season up until the end of autumn and we should really take advantage of all its nutritional properties. Cauliflower is high in fibre and is an amazing source of antioxidants and you’d be surprised how easy it is to integrate into your diet!
We’ve also managed to pack another seasonal superpower, the common garden peas! Peas are an excellent source of plant-based protein, lots of vitamin C and zinc to strengthen your immune system and support our digestive health.
Try this delicious recipe and you’ll never have enough!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 225g pack paneer, cut into cubes
- 1 head of cauliflower broken into small florets
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10 curry leaves (optional)
- 200g pureed tinned tomatoes
- 100g fresh (or frozen) peas
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- ¾ tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Pinch of garam masala to garnish
- Basmati rice or naan breads, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the paneer and fry gently until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Steam the cauliflower to almost about 70% cooked.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and the curry leaves and then add the tomatoes. Cook on a medium heat to cook off the acidity and water in the tomatoes.
- When the tomatoes have coagulated, add the ginger and garlic and allow it to sauté’ for a minute before adding the rest of the spices: turmeric, salt, chilli powder, cumin and ground coriander. Allow the spices to blend together for 3-4 minutes before adding the cauliflower, paneer and peas; mix well.
- Cook for 7 to 8 minutes on a low heat with the lid on. Add a few drops of water if it is sticking to keep it loose and mobile.
When the cauliflower and peas are cooked through, add the fresh coriander and garam masala to garnish and serve. Enjoy! 😊