Perfect for the summer, this simple dish will bring a lovely taste of seaside Spain to your table. The squid may well be deep-fried, but they taste lovely and light, with the alioli making the perfect accompaniment as a dipping sauce. Our Spanish tapas class teaches you an array of authentic tapas dishes, brilliant to share with family and friends in the summer evenings. Now all you would have to worry about is the weather staying nice!
20g semolina flour
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp garlic granules
1tsp dried oregano or marjoram leaves, crumbled
2 medium squid or cuttlefish tubes, sliced into 1cm rounds(10 rings) – dried with paper towel.
Oil for deep frying
Fresh lemon or lime
- Put the semolina flour, salt, black pepper, garlic granules and oregano in a bowl.
- Make sure the squid rings are dry before tossing them in the flour mixture until well coated.
- Rest the coated rings on a plate and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Fill a deep frying pan or a karahi or electric deep-fryer one-third full with oil. Heat to 195˚C or until a 1cm cube of bread browns in about 30sec. Fry the prepared squid in the hot oil in batches if too many. Cook for 30-45 sec, which is the minimum time it takes to set the seafood to firm whiteness and make the coating crisp.
- Remove, drain and keep hot. Continue until all of the squid are cooked.
- Serve a pile of squid rings on each plate, with the ½ lemon, if using, and a large spoonful of alioli and or Romesco sauce
Cooks Tip 1: Add chilli flakes to the flour mix if you prefer a kick
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.