I have been playing around with ingredients recently, as I’m prone to do. I’ve had the taste of a granola bar in my mouth from a recent visit to a somewhat well known coffee shop but found it a little too sweet, so I set to work one morning (I am at my most creative in the morning) creating my Super Nutritious Energy Bars.
My existing Super Granola recipe has been re-engineered into a delicious snack bar that promises energy-boosting goodness in every bite! My reinvention is crammed with dried fruit, nuts and seeds and my children and lovely guinea pig friends (said in the most affectionate way – I assure you) are loving them! They are, of course, yummy – that goes without saying – but also nutritious and filling. Like bananas, you could have them before or after sport, or simply as a break-time or lunchbox treat as they’ll boost and sustain your concentration and energy levels (and mood!).
I’ve used condensed milk and peanut butter as a binder instead of butter and syrup, but for those with peanut allergies, you could use almond or cashew butter as an alternative. You could also switch to honey which would give it an amazing glazing and sticky consistency, but of course I’m trying to steer you away from the sugar.
Makes about 15 pieces
- 1 x 397ml can condensed milk
- 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter – natural, no added sugar
- 80g pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 60g linseed – ground if possible
- 20g poppy seeds
- 150g mixture of chopped dates, chopped goji berries and cranberries
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g desiccated coconut – optional (but delicious)
- 240g porridge oats (half refined, half jumbo)
- Preheat oven to 140°C/Gas Mark 1. Grease and line an 18 x 25cm baking tray and set aside.
- Pour the condensed milk and peanut butter into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and spoon into the greased baking tray. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until golden brown.
- Allow it to cool and then cut them into the portions sizes of your choice.
- Enjoy – guilt free eating with brain power and boundless energy.
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.