So you want to be healthy and you’re on-board with Veganuary, but how do you make sure you have a healthy balanced diet throughout the day? The Daily Dozen are the 12 essential things to eat, drink and do to maintain a healthy mind, body & soul ready for to face the challenges of the new year and be fit for life and fit for the new you. Created by Dr. Michael Greger in his book ‘How Not to Die’ (what a delightful title!), the daily dozen lays out the 12 things you should consume each day to maintain you mind, body and soul.
When approaching a plant-based diet you will already be aware that you need to be including lots of fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds. The ‘Daily Dozen’ gives you a handy checklist for the ingredients you can choose from each day, I’ve also included a helpful graphic you can keep on your phone for a quick go-to. Happy plant-based eating and happy Veganuary everyone!
- Beans – Baked beans, soya beans, chickpeas, peas, kidney beans, lentils, tofu, or hummus
- Berries – Grapes, raisins, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, raspberries and strawberries
- Other fruits – Apples, tomatoes, avocados, bananas, oranges, grapefruit, melon, lemons, or limes
- Cruciferous vegetables – Broccoli, cauliflower, kale, rocket, or brussels sprouts, watercress, bok choy, radishes
- Greens – Spring greens, kale, young salad greens, rocket, spinach, or swiss chard
- Other vegetables – Carrots, sweetcorn, courgettes, garlic, mushrooms, onions, pumpkin, or sweet potatoes
- Nuts & Seeds – Peanuts, almond, brazil, walnuts and sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Linseeds – One tablespoon a day is enough – preferably ground
- Spices – A quarter of a teaspoon of turmeric, add some black pepper to help the absorption plus any others you love
- Whole Grains – Brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, oats, or whole-wheat pasta
- Drinks – Water, coffee, green tea, white tea, black tea, earl grey, hibiscus tea
- Exercise – Ideally 30 minutes a day of moderate activity, such as walking or cycling