Humans are naturally, social creatures.
Our relationships with others play a significant role in our lives. The people we surround ourselves with can profoundly impact our mental health and overall well-being. Positive relationships can help us feel happier, more supported, and more resilient in the face of challenges. On the other hand, negative relationships can leave us feeling drained, anxious, and isolated.
The Impact of Positive Relationships on Mental Health
Positive relationships can have a powerful impact on our mental health. Studies have found that people with strong social support networks are less likely to experience symptoms of anxiety and depression. Positive relationships can also help us cope with stress, increase our sense of belonging, and improve our self-esteem.
The Benefits of Surrounding Yourself with Positive People
When we surround ourselves with positive people, we can experience a range of benefits, including:
- Increased happiness: Spending time with people who make us feel good can boost our mood and increase our overall sense of happiness.
- Greater resilience: Positive relationships can help us bounce back from setbacks and cope with stress more effectively.
- Improved self-esteem: Being around people who believe in us and support us can help with feeling more confident in ourselves and our abilities.
- Enhanced creativity: Positive relationships can help us think outside the box and come up with new ideas.
If you want to cultivate more positive relationships in your life, here are some tips to get you started:
- Surround yourself with people who share your values and interests.
- Make an effort to be kind, supportive, and compassionate to those around you.
- Be open to meeting new people and trying new things.
- Communicate openly and honestly with those in your life.
- Set boundaries and prioritize relationships that make you feel good.
The motivational speaker Jim Rohn says that we are the average of the five people we spend the most time with. So, what about your average?
This article is written by Kumud Gandhi – Food Scientist, nutritionist, writer & broadcaster. Kumud Gandhi is the science lead at The Cooking Academy and is a pioneer of science-based nutritional coaching to support people in achieving productivity and wellness through nutritional management. She leads the ‘Wellness in the Workplace’ division at The Cooking Academy
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.