Since we have been enjoying an almost uninterrupted stretch of glorious weather our minds have turned to al fresco eating and in particular, one of the great joys of summer, the humble picnic. In our opinion the mighty sausage roll is the perfect picnic fare and as such we really couldn’t keep our recipe for the ultimate sausage rolls to ourselves. Needless to say it’s super easy to make and ridiculously tasty.
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tbsp olive oil
450g pork mince (at least 20% fat)
4 rashers streaky bacon, finely chopped
60g chorizo, finely diced
1 tsp fennel seeds
8-10 sage leaves finely chopped
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 heaped tsp flaked sea salt
Grated zest of a lemon
50g panko breadcrumbs
1½ sheets ready rolled puff pastry (cut in half)
Extra egg for egg wash
Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Saute the onion, celery and garlic over a medium heat until soft and translucent but not browned. Set aside to cool.
- Chop the bacon very finely, so it is a similar grain to the mince, chop the chorizo into small dice
- Combine the onion mixture, mince, bacon, chorizo, fennel seeds, sage, salt, black pepper and lemon zest, and use your hands to mix the ingredients well.
- Mix in the panko bread crumbs, then mix in the whole egg.
- Lay out a rectangle of pastry, with the long edge closest to you. Take ⅓ of the filling and shape it into a long log shape down the middle of the pastry. Ensure that the meat is tight and compact, without gaps.
- Roll up the log in the pastry and use some egg wash to seal the edges of the pastry.
- Brush with the egg wash then cut the log into four equal lengths
- Repeat with the remainder of the pastry and mixture and then sprinkle the sausage rolls with sesame seeds.
- Heat the oven to 200c/ gas mark 6.
- Place the sausage rolls on a baking tray on parchment paper and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature
#thecookingacademy #sausagerolls #summer #savoury
Kumud Gandhi is a Nutritional Food Scientist bestselling Author, Broadcaster, and Keynote Speaker on the subject of nutritional health for productivity & performance in the workplace. In 2010 Kumud founded ‘The Cooking Academy’ a cookery school that focusses on cooking for nutritional health and wellbeing. Kumud regularly presents to international audiences on a variety of topics such as ‘Eating for Immunity and a Lifetime of Wellness’. She is an expert in the field of Wellness in the Workplace and works with organizations to create transformational change in employee health & well-being through nutrition and health coaching.