If your looking for something a little fresher this festive period why not try our festive winter slaw with Stilton! Crunchy red cabbage, fennel, apple and toasted walnuts are finished off with a sprinkling of blue cheese.
½ red cabbage
1 bulb fennel
1 x stick celery
1 x Granny smith apple
1 lemon, juiced
For the dressing
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp Avocado or Olive oil
2 tbsp walnut oil
2-3 tbsp crème fraise or mayonnaise
- Finely slice the red cabbage, fennel, and celery, use a mandolin if you preferred to achieve a very thin cut, and combine in a large salad bowl.
- Slice the apple into julienne sticks, add to a bowl and squeeze some lemon juice over it to prevent it from discolouring.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry frying pan for two minutes and set aside.
- To make the dressing, in a bowl add the red wine vinegar, a little salt, some Dijon mustard, some crème fraise and both walnut and avocado or olive oil. Whisk them together with a fork.
- Now bring all the components together, toss and transfer to your serving dish. Crumble over chunks of the Stilton cheese, drizzle the dressing and serve with some of the green fronds from the fennel bulb as decoration and garnish.